North West Puddle Jumping Championships: February Half Term
Sat 11 February - Sun 19 February
Back due to popular demand: the third North West Puddle Jumping Championship at Martin Mere. Dress up warm, get your wellies on and get outside to jump into our puddles to win prizes.
This year WWT’s new children’s character, Dusty Duck is joining in the fun and helping kids create the biggest, craziest splash possible. Dusty was exclusively designed by the world-famous Aardman studios to help celebrate WWT’s 70th anniversary by getting children closer to nature.
The puddles will be set up for you to practice and have fun in during the morning with the competition starting at 2pm. It is 50p to enter the competition. Every contestant will receive a ‘splashtastic’ sticker to acknowledge their puddle jumping skills - Daily winners will be announced throughout the half term and some lucky ‘super-splashers’ will receive a fantastic prize from Dusty Duck himself!
Jumps will be judged on the following three key categories:
- The enthusiasm of the jumper
- The creativity of the jump
- and most importantly the height of the splash.
The competition is open to all competitors no matter what age or ability, so come on down and make a splash.
Normal admission charges apply to participate in this event.
- Take part in our Welly shot putt everyday between 1pm and 2pm for the chance to win prizes for the longest throw. Free to enter and the event will take place by the Dome opposite the puddle jumping area.
- Frogs can jump up to 50 times their body length! Can you do a frog jump? Take part in this free fun activity in the Dome between 11am and 12.30pm.
Everyday at 3pm and 3.30pm watch the spectacle of thousands of Whooper swans feed on the mere. The feeds include a wardens talk. The 3pm feed is from the new Discovery hide and 3.30pm feed is from the Raines Observatory. Both feeds include a wardens talk.
- Otter talk: Meet our 3 cheeky Asian otters as you watch them forage, swim, rest, sleep and bath in the sunshine. 11.30am and 2.30pm.
- Get creative and make a craft in our craft room between 12.30pm - 3.30pm (small require a small additional charge)
- Feeding the birds: Get nose to beak as friendly ducks and geese scramble to feed from your hand. Pick up a bag of grain for £1.
- Wild walk: Have a muddy adventure with wobbly bridges, mucky meadows, a reedy ramble & hidden treasures. Click here for further information about Wild Walk
- Swing, climb, fly, play and travel across our adventure playground ‘Rushes’ – suitable for all ages and abilities.