From birdwatchers to families there is plenty to discover all year round. With experiences to suit all ages offering access to a huge variety of wildlife, it is no surprise we are an award-winning day out!
Tips for making the most of your day
- Arrive early to avoid the crowds
- When you arrive, check the information board for updates on what's happening that day
- Pick up a centre map and day planner on arrival - for free! Or download our leaflet and map now and see all the amazing things you can do.
- Birds have ears too! You'll see much more around the site and in hides if you are quiet and approach slowly
- Don't forget to buy a bag of grain at reception to feed the birds. Grain is better than bread for healthy birds and clear water.
Sensory Garden and Courtyard - enjoy six distinct gardens exploring each of the five senses, a wildlife observatory, bird feeding tables and a Courtyard learning space to study nature’s gardeners.
Brent hide – experience the breathtaking views of Strangford Lough from the best vantage point on the site.
Limekiln observatory – this state-of- the-art heated building boasts glass on three sides. It’s a perfect venue for bird watching or just sitting and admiring the view.
Wild wood play – our woodland natural play area is a novelty for both children and adults, taking you back to your childhood days. It’s also an ideal picnic spot.
Climbing wall – don’t look down! Have a fantastic time challenging yourself to climb the wall by the Limestone Pavilion.
Discover our History Zones (Crannog, Limestone pavilion & brickworks) – with interpretation on hand exploring the rich tapestry of our ancient and modern past.
Loughshore cafe – relax and enjoy views of the reserve, Strangford Lough and Scrabo Tower.
Art gallery – Castle Espie’s gallery, ‘nature through art’, hosts a series of art exhibitions.