From birdwatchers to families there is plenty to discover all year round. With experiences to suit all ages offering access to a huge variety of wildlife, it is no surprise we are an award-winning day out!
Tips for making the most of your day
- Check the daily walks and talks schedule before you go to make sure you don't miss anything
- When you arrive, check the chalkboard in the courtyard for up to date information about what to see and do today.
- Check the board outside the Observatory for the most recent bird sightings
- If you're a keen birder you can check the sightings in the Wildlife section of our website
- Pick up a centre map and day planner on arrival - for free! Or download a map now.
- Birds have ears too! You'll see much more around the site and in hides if you are quiet and approach slowly.
The Big View – start your visit by experiencing the breathtaking wetland vista from the Observatory (accessible from the courtyard).
Wetlands of the World – see beautiful water birds and learn more about WWT’s conservation work.
Wildside – lose yourself in this wild area of meandering paths and rustling reedbeds - a haven of peace and quiet.
RBC Rain Garden – a beautiful wildflower meadow and creature habitats offer inspiration for your garden back home.
Our otter family – watch their antics as they swim, feed and play. (Our otter pair have been relocated to Drusillas Park due for the need to rehome three otter males from WWT Washington Wetland Centre. In the meantime we are working to refurbish the otter pen, making it ready for the boys to arrive in two weeks. During this time there will not be any otter talks. We apologise for any inconvenience).
Sand martin bank – peer into the secret life of breeding sand martins. (The nest bank is closed now until mid June to give them a chance to settle and raise their first brood.)
Explore Adventure area, Discovery Centre and Pond Zone – exciting interactive areas for families to enjoy together.
Peacock Tower – visit our three storey hide for panoramic views across the reserve.
Kingfisher Kitchen - pick up a drink and snack from our cafe before you head out onto the reserve, or enjoy a meal at lunchtime. We're open for breakfast too!